Sunday, September 7, 2008

Baby Eldreth Update

Well, the last month has been a rough one.  For those of you that don't know, we had a 12 week genetic ultrasound just to make sure that everything was going smoothly because I was turning 35. My doctor is very cautious, which I thought was a good thing, but now I am not so sure it is. We had off the chart reading for the nuchal measurement and our ratios were very extreme telling us that there was a 50-50 chance that our baby would have downs syndrome or probably something much worse. I'm not saying that downs syndrome is such a terrible thing but it is certainly very scary and life changing. The genetic counselor suggested that we do a test called a CVS, which took a sample of my placenta and matched my chromosomes with the baby's. This test is 99.9% accurate and tells us if the baby has downs, turner's trisomy, etc.  They even went on to counsel us about termination. They seemed so sure that something serious was going on. Well, after 11 days of hell we received the results and they were NEGATIVE for a genetic disorder. Then, they tested the placenta for something called DiGeorge Syndrome, which sounded horrible after I looked it up. BUT, again NEGATIVE. 
So, I went to my doctor 's visit very excited to talk about the good news and he still wasn't convinced. He and the panel of doctors that are studying this case feel that the reading from the ultrasound sends a red flag that there is something not normal going on. I had another ultrasound at my 17 week visit and after about an hour of pictures, a doctor told me that everything they were able to see was perfectly healthy!! The spinal cord and heart are not fully developed yet and won't be until about 22 weeks, so there is still that concern. BUT, get this, the nuchal reading is now in a NORMAL range. I just know that I am having a healthy baby BOY!!!!  Yes , it's a boy! So, we are just taking it a day at a time. I have another ultrasound in about 2 weeks at  20 weeks. So, maybe that will tell us more good news. I'll keep you posted!

2 comments:

Irene said...

GREAT NEWS BETH!!! I am so happy for you!!

Jacquie said...

I am so... sorry you had to go through that. It is great to hear everything looks good. Congrats!

cutest blog on the block

Widget_logo